Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Gluten-free Spaghetti: Squash style!

Let me just start by saying, "This was ridiculous."

My family loves spaghetti, and I think there are very few families to whom that statement would not apply. It's like saying, "My family loves pizza," or, "My family loves macaroni and cheese." It's established. Move on.

You know what spaghetti loves (specifically the pasta)? My hips.

So when I made spaghetti the other night, I threw one of these little bad boys in the oven (the spaghetti squash pictured above, in case you aren't following me). It was simple. Twenty to thirty minutes before starting the sauce, I cut the squash long ways, scraped out the seeds, salted it a bit, and put both sides bottom (peel side) down in a casserole dish. I baked it at 350 about 45 minutes.

Meanwhile, I prepared my meat, added the pasta sauce (sometimes I make my own - sometimes I do not), and simmered while preparing the gluten-free pasta.

At this point, my squash was just about fully cooked, so I added some sauce into the squash and baked it 15 more minutes to allow the flavor to seep into the squash. When I removed it from the oven, I added the goat cheese.

I was just not expecting it to be that yummy! It was, indeed, ridiculous. In the end I had to let the rest of the "fam" try a bite of mine, and they were all a bit jealous (the kids were jealous of my vegetable version of spaghetti. Did we enter an alternate universe?!). I had a low-carb version of their meal and it was even better!

I will be doing this again and even trying other fillings. I'm thinking a creamy sauce with mushrooms, spinach, and artichoke hearts. Do you have a spaghetti squash recipe that you just *love*?

No comments:

Post a Comment