Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Our Gluten-free Memorial Day Meal



I have really enjoyed seeing all the pictures from my friends who participated is lots of fun activities over the weekend - almost as much as I enjoyed our restful weekend at home with my little family. At the end of the day meal, we enjoyed some grilled chicken and kielbasa, cheesy quinoa, corn on the cob, and a nice spinach salad.

Grilling the chicken also gave me the chance to try this Fly By South White BBQ marinade (and sauce, but I used it as a marinade), which was fabulous. It is gluten, soy, and sugar free, and gave the chicken a great flavor without a lot of work. I simply poured a generous about coating both sides of the chicken and let it sit for a half hour before grilling.

I also used this White Dipping Sauce as a salad dressing, which was quite good! It is very tart, however, with cider vinegar so be careful if you don't care for vinegar-heavy sauces. I, however, love vinegar -especially cider vinegar - and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I also love that this product is made near Atlanta, and if feels good to use a product from a local company. Check out their website flybysouth.com.

To make the quinoa, I use a one cup quinoa to three cups water ratio. This is a little more water than a package usually calls for, but I find my family likes it better cooked a little more thoroughly. Once it was finished I added a couple tablespoons butter and a half cup shredded Parmesan. Even Eli enjoyed it, and quinoa isn't usually his favorite. I love quinoa because it is so easy to cook. Ahem, and because it is healthy.

We hope you had a wonderful Memorial Day celebration in remembrance of those who gave their lives so that we can celebrate in freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment