Friday, January 3, 2014

Friday's Flours: Garbanzo Fava Flour

Or as I like to call it, Garfava flour.



I'm highlighting Garbanzo fava flour - a garbanzo and fava bean mix - because this flour has been easier for me to find than plain garbanzo flour. I'm not sure why this is, but it is fine because I can't really tell much of a difference between the two. In fact, the garfava flour might have a little less of that "beany" flavor.

The great thing about this flour is the texture. It cooks up wonderfully into muffins and other goodies because it is light and fluffy. You can use it free of other flours, and you'll be amazed that it bakes so well.

On the down side, it has a rather strong flavor. For this reason, I don't use it in very many recipes - at least not those that I serve to guests, especially not deserts. But if your goal is to go completely grain free, well, this is the flour for you. There are tons of grain-free recipes that use this flower awaiting your googling fingers.

The main recipe I use this flour in, however, is Farinata or Garbanzo Bean Flatbread. If you haven't had this Italian Flat Bread with soup, well, you just need to try it. And it is very simple. The basic recipe is as follows, but I suggest adding some salt and rosemary:


Farinata or Garbanzo bean flatbread

Eat while hot. Add black pepper and spices, if desired. This is a great gluten-free recipe.

1 cup chick pea/garbanzo bean flour 
1 3/4 cup water
1 teaspoon water

Mix together and allow this to sit overnight or for at least three hours. I don't know what this does, but this evidently what they do in Italy. It can get bubbly.

Add 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil.
Heat oven to 500 degrees. (If your oven is hot, you might try 400 degrees first.)
Heat a skillet or pan in the hot oven. Take the pan out of the oven and oil with 1 to 2 teaspoons of oil. Put the pan back in the oven for about a minute.
Pour half of the batter into the pan. It will sizzle. Immediately put it back into the oven.
Let it cook about 10 minutes until it is done. Watch carefully so it doesn't get too brown.
Repeat with the second half of the batter.


Oh, and by the way. I don't do the mixing and sitting overnight, but then I'm not Italian. I hope my best friend (who is Italian) doesn't see this!

No comments:

Post a Comment