Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Southern Fried Cooking - Gluten Free Style

Southerners fry everything, right? I think it used to be much more true than it is today seeing as we live in a much more health conscious society. In fact, even as I was growing up fried foods were a special treat. My favorite fried treat was, and is to this day, fried okra. Throw a little flour on it, fry it up, salt it, and I'll take it over chocolate cake - no lie!

Well, my mom has been working on this and other southern specialties minus the gluten. She has found that 1 cup of potato starch and 1/4 cup sorghum flour makes the best combination for fried goodies. According to my daddy, the gluten free fried chicken she made last night "would make a rabbit slap a hound dog." And, yes, that is a direct quote.

Here are a few pictures she quick-snapped with her phone:

Pan fried chicken. Not the best picture, but I figured anything that could "make a rabbit slap a hound dog" was worth a shot.



Onion rings. Yum!!

Pan fried okra? Yes, please! And don't you love the quilted table cloth?!

Fried Summer Veggies - Though I'm sure my mother's family wasn't the only ones who did this mix, we always called it "Smith Special" Now that I'm looking at this, I see neither okra nor green tomatoes, which were always in Smith Special. So maybe this is just fried summer veggies.

Oh, and I have a confession to make. I may be one of the few southerners alive that doesn't like fried green tomatoes. But I loved the movie... Does that redeem me a bit?

No comments:

Post a Comment