Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Gluten-free Banana Oat Muffins - An accidental recipe improvement


These muffins are a family favorite, and I have been making them for years. I didn't feel there was any need to improve this recipe because it was already so tasty, but accidents happen, and sometimes they happen for the better.

This happened a few weeks ago when I was cooking in a hurry and I was out of canola oil. The hurry part caused me to grab a half-tablespoon instead of a teaspoon, and being out of canola oil meant that I had to use coconut oil instead.

I've heard for a while now how coconut oil is thought to be really good for you, but often times I don't use it in a recipe because it solidifies and I don't have the time to warm it (i.e. don't feel like warming it). I solved that problem by keeping some in a small ceramic container that I can stick in the microwave for a few seconds. Also, if you have a warmer spot in your kitchen, keep your jar of oil there.

Now these muffins, with coconut oil and an extra teaspoon of baking powder, have a better texture and taste than ever. They do not have a coconut flavor, however the oil seems to add to the fluffy texture, which is also aided by the extra baking powder.



So here is my new recipe:

Banana Oat Muffins

2 1/4 cups gluten-free oat flour
1 tablespoon tapioca starch/flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
3 tablespoons coconut oil (I like it warmed to liquid form)
2 tablespoons agave nectar (honey or maple syrup will work as well).
2 mashed bananas
1 cup apple juice (milk or a milk substitute would do, but the apple juice makes it sweeter)

Preheat your oven to 350. Whisk the oat flour, tapioca starch, and baking powder together with a wire whisk. Add the remaining ingredients and stir until dry ingredients are wet. Divide equally into 24 muffin cups of a small muffin pan, or the 12 cups in a normal-sized muffin pan. I prefer these in smaller muffins. Bake 12 minutes or until the tops are firm to the touch.

I strongly recommend you turn your muffins on their sides to cool, otherwise the bottoms and sides are wet and gooey when you get them out.



No comments:

Post a Comment