Monday, August 18, 2014

Slow-Cooker Hashbrown Casserole


My family loves breakfast casseroles. However, it is a special treat that I only do once in a while (and lets face it - mostly just Christmas morning) because who wants to get up and put together the dish, then cook it for an hour before everyone gets up? Even if you put it together the night before, you still have that issue of getting up an hour before everyone else. Have you noticed the trend of me not getting up any earlier than absolutely necessary???

Yesterday afternoon I put together our favorite breakfast casserole in the slow cooker and put it in the fridge. Before bed, I stuck it in the slow-cooker, set it to cook for about six and a half hours to be finished about the time I get out of bed (yes, I DO get up a half hour before the boys on school mornings. I said I don't LIKE to). Anywho...

I had some very happy and well-fed boys when they left for school/work this morning. And that made me feel good.

Here's the step-by-step:
Layer in your hash browns.

Then the sausage crumbles. My family likes the hot variety.

Whisk the milk, eggs, and corn starch.

Pour over the top and allow to cook on low for 6-7 hours. Notice that I don't put my cheese on until the morning - it tends to over-brown too long in the slow-cooker.

Get out of bed, sprinkle on your cheese (it will melt quickly), and serve to your happy kids.

I am really excited about being able to make this special meal on a school morning - especially on those pesky testing days when they really need a little something extra. Another thing that I really loved about making this? I froze four serving in baggies to be served one morning when it is most needed.


So, this is the recipe:

Slow-Cooker Hashbrown Casserole
1 28 oz bag frozen hash browns (be sure they are gluten-free - we used Alexia with garlic and salt)
1 lb sausage crumbled and browned (also check the ingredients - not all are gluten-free)
1 3/4 cups almond milk (or milk)
6 eggs
2 tablespoons corn starch
2 cups shredded sharp cheddar

Layer in the frozen hash browns into your slow-cooker, then spread the sausage crumbles on top. Whisk together the milk, eggs, and corn starch. Pour over the hash browns and sausage. Cook on low over night 6-7 hours. Sprinkle on cheese and allow to melt before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment