Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Millet for Breakfast - slow cooker AND gluten-free!

I love slow cooker breakfasts! You wake up, and the question "What's for breakfast?" has already been answered. I have done grits as well as oatmeal and steel-cut oats many times, but I wanted to try a different grain this morning. Here's the recipe, and I thought it was quite good. Very hardy.

This was a little thick, and I adjusted the recipe to add a little more water. I like the consistency to be kind of creamy.


Slow Cooker Date and Pear Millet

1 cup whole millet
4 cups water
8 Medjool dates
2-3 pears

Puree the pears and dates in your blender or food processor (or just chop them if you'd rather). Place in a small-size slow cooker (1.5 quart is a tight squeeze, but whatever size you use, make sure it is at least half full) with the water and millet and stir. Cook on low for 6-8 hours until done.

No comments:

Post a Comment