Monday, April 7, 2014

Fruit Roll Fail - Fruit Chip Success

I was very excited when my husband gave me an Amazon gift card for Valentine's Day (hopeless romantic that he is), and I used to get one of these:

Yes! My very own food dehydrator! Okay, so maybe you're not as excited as I am, but I have been wanting one for a while to make snacks for my boys and to dry herbs from my herb garden.

The first thing I decided to make was fruit rolls. I blended up my strawberries and apples, poured them onto my fruit roll trays, and plugged in the dehydrator.

Now, when you're new dehydrator says, "dries food in hours, not days," it means it! Even though I started the process later in the evening, this is what I found in the morning:


But while I could not roll them into strips, and they weren't exactly pretty, I found that my family loved the "fruit chips." I call them chips because they were quite crispy and I had to break them into irregular shapes. However, instead of the fail that I thought I had, it was a great success! The only problem I have now is to decided whether I want to make fruit rolls or fruit chips the next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment