Wednesday, April 30, 2014

On-the-fly Supper Success

It can be a real challenge to come home and make a great gluten-free dinner when you haven't planned things out. I don't claim to be a great planner by any stretch, but when my kids are sick planning takes a definite back seat. Between the fevers and the snotty noses, I ran into the kitchen yesterday evening to figure out something to fix that would make everyone happy, and the following was the result:




I call it Cheeseburger Casserole. Even though this is not the greatest picture that I snapped very quickly, when I realized this new creation was universally loved by the numerous male persons in my household (and, admittedly myself) and might be a nice addition to our summer cookbook, I thought I should include a visual.

So, here are the ingredients:

1 20oz bag hash browns (garlic, salt, and white pepper flavored)
1 lb ground beef
1/2 onion chopped fine
1 cup sour cream
1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350. Spread the hash browns around the bottom of a deep, greased casserole dish. Set aside. Brown the ground beef and onion adding salt and pepper. Drain the excess grease. Stir in the sour cream and spread the mixture over the top of the hash browns. Cover with pepper jack cheese, then cheddar cheese. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until hash browns are fully cooked.

Serve with salad or your favorite vegetable.

No comments:

Post a Comment